Review - True Blood Volume 1 - All Together Now



* Disclaimer: A copy was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review*




Title: True Blood - All Together Now
Book #: 1
Author: Alan Ball, David Tischman, Mariah Huehner and David Messina
Release Date: June 25th 2013
Pages: 158
Publisher: Diamond Book Distributors

My Rating:

Blood and passion mix on a hot rainy night at Merlotte's as Sookie and the usual suspects settle in for the long haul.

Until, that is, they find themselves unexpectedly trapped by avengeful, vile creature who feeds off the miserable shame of others — and none will survive the morning unless all their dirty little secrets are revealed.

 So Sookie, Bill, Eric, Sam, Tara ,Jason, and Lafayette are forced to dig deep and tell painful tales of their pasts — the kind you never willingly reveal.




My Thoughts


I'm a huge fan of the true blood series but I must admit I've only read the first book - don't worry I have almost all of them and I will read them eventually - and I am addicted to the TV show. This being said, this comic was a different experience for me since it never crossed my mind that this could be done.

The artwork is amazing, there's two kinds of drawings of the characters in this comics and I fell in love with the drawings by J. Scott Campbell. The way he portrayed some of the characters, especially Bill and Sookie, made them almost look like some superheroes, like the ones you would maybe find in a Marvel comic, and I found that fascinating.

In terms of the plot, I have a bit of mixed feelings, but this could be solved in the next volume of this series. To me, it seemed like all the trouble they went through with the Imp Shaloop was for nothing since Eric did not show any symptoms after he was stricken by it. But maybe he will start showing it on the next volume. We’ll have to wait and see.

I actually enjoyed the fact that the authors decided to go deeper into the characters’ past mostly because they had to share some deeper and painful memories that otherwise we wouldn’t know about. My favorite ones were by Sookie and Eric, because through Sookie’s memory we could understand a bit more of her relationship with her parents and how her ability affected them, and Eric’s because it showed us a more caring side of him and if you watch the show you know how hard he tries to conceal this.

When it comes to the characters, I think they did a pretty good job showing their personalities when in comparison with the TV show, but I did not like their Sookie’s impersonation since she came across way too sweet, and on the show she does not come across like this. I am looking forward for the next volume.




2 comments

  1. I haven't read the book series yet but of what I have seen from the tv show I'm not very impressed!!!

    I hope the books change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the tv show a lot, the first book was quite good and I am now waiting for some free time to get into the other books. I hope you like them :)

      Delete