Review - The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time




Title: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Author: Mark Haddon
Release Date: 2004
Pages: 272
Publisher: Vintage

My Rating: 



The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone.

Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's Syndrome. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched.

He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.



My Thoughts


This book was different from anything I've read before.

I only picked it up because I thought it would be about the dead dog, but it ended up being a story about family, love and the struggles to deal with an autistic child. I really loved it though. I once had a colleague who was autistic and has a young teenager I really didn't understood why she behaved the way she did, but as I grew up I got to understand better and learn how to deal with it. This book was a reminder of those times and also it changed my perspective in the sense of how it must have felt for her to deal with the rest of the world, even though my colleague and Christopher had different triggers.

It was a light read and I really enjoyed the mathematical problems he would solve true out the book in order to calm him down even if I couldn't really understand some of the process.

I got incredibly frustrated with Christopher's mother for leaving him but I think it pissed me off the most the fact that his dad made him believe that she was dead. You cannot blame him though, if someone that is supose to love you and support you through all the difficulties in your life simply walks away, to you they are as good as dead, but you cannot and should not hide this from a child, especially in Christopher's state since he could, and did, turn on you.

Although this book was touching, I was not a big fan of the ending, but it does make sense with everything that happened through out the book, I must admit that. I just expected a more 'and they lived happily ever after' kind of ending I guess.

No comments