Review - Dark Spell


*Disclaimer: A copy was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review*




Title: Dark Spell
Author: Gill Arbuthnott
Release Date: August 1st 2013
Pages: 224
Publisher: Floris Books

My Rating:




Fifteen-year-year-old Callie Hall has just found out that she is a witch...and things keep going wrong. Sometimes her mind seems to make things happen, things she cannot control.

She can set fire to things without a match, and when shes angry people can get hurt. Her friend Josh understands that shes a bit strange, but it is only on a dark and dangerous visit to the tunnels beneath the ruins of St Andrews' castle that he realizes just how strange she really is. Something comes back with Callie--in Callie--something she cannot escape.

Can Callie control her power long enough to send back the darkness before it takes over her life? Will Josh ever understand her secret? A brilliant, engrossing young peoples fantasy from the author of Winterbringers and The Keepers Daughter. (Ages 11-13)



My Thoughts



I found this book to be an ok read, mostly because at the beginning it was hard to get the hang of it, because it had too many time jumps, better yet, it had too many breaks between events. I can understand why the author was doing it, he was trying to give us a better perspective of who Callie was and her circumstances and what not, but I don't really find it appealing when it comes to enhancing my reading experience.

This being said, Dark Spell has a quite interesting story, and since it's for ages 11 - 13 I think this is a very good book. After the main events started happening and I got more into the story, I started liking it a bit better and I didn't want to put it down, but I still found there was something missing in this book. I can't really exactly explain what, but there was.

I think I was expecting this book to have a different perspective on magic and witches then what the author presented me with but we have to remember that this book is for young kids, so because of that, I will not take this very seriously. Also I did not like the ending very much, even though it leaves plenty space for a second book.

Overall this book was ok but it could definitely be better.

1 comment

  1. Hey, Nice Blog..!! Saw you on goodreads.com

    I've clicked to 'join this site' and follow you. Would really appreciate a click follow back @

    http://supernova125.blogspot.co.uk/

    Many thanks and all the best. Look forward to reading.

    x_ROSH125_x

    ReplyDelete