Review - The Hollow People




Title: The Hollow People
Series: The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus #1
Author: Brian Keaney
Release Date: September 25th 2007
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

My Rating:



ON THE SINISTER ISLAND where strict obedience to the laws of the mysterious Dr. Sigmundus holds sway, dreaming will get you locked up and branded a lunatic, a danger to society and to all who know you. In this doomed and repressive place, two teens that were never meant to meet or share their dreams, cross paths and set in motion that which rips them from the lives they were meant to lead.

Together they join forces with a ragtag group of rebel forces bent on breaking the grip of lies and illusions their countrymen have accepted without question.

For fans of thoughtful science fiction and fantasy, The Hollow People opens a window on the unseen worlds that surround us. It is the first installment in The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus.



My Thoughts



When I bought this book I had no idea what it was about. I liked the cover and the title and so I decided to give it a try. It was sort of a blind date with a book and I must say it worked really well for me.

As I was reading this book I became more and more frustrated with myself because I had the chance to buy the whole trilogy at once and I did not. Because this book is quite good. As you get more and more into it, you start connecting to the characters and with the story and you just want to know everything there is to know about this 'no dreams allowed' kind of world.

This book tells the story of Dante a boy who was always told that he was a nobody, just a kitchen boy whose mother was crazy and killed herself... This wasn't quite true though. He ends up meeting a little girl, Bea, who always dreams about a city in ruins and somehow feels safe and not so lonely there. There's only one problem... Dreams are consider an awful thing in the island of Tarnagar.

I absolutely loved the idea of a society where you are not allowed to dream because in this book, dreams are the root of every society's issues especially criminal behavior. In Tarnagar's society when you reach a certain age you must oblige and take this medication that will basically make you a 'no risk taker' kind of person and also block your ability to dream. Dante already took this but he still dreams... And Bea's not too sure she wants to take it.

I must admit though that I found parts of this book quite slow for me, mostly the beginning, it wasn't quite appealing but I kept on reading and I do not regret this decision.

The ending... Oh Jesus the ending, I hate clif hangers with all the power of my being, and this book gives us the biggest clif hanger of them all...

Overall 'The Hollow People' is a good book and I would advise it to everyone who's into unnusual books.

P.S.: I must buy the other books SOON.

No comments