Review - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children



Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children
Book #: 1
Publisher: Quirk
Release Date: June 7th 2011

My Rating:



A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.




My Thoughts


I have had this book in my TBR list for a while now and when a good friend of mine got it for me as a Christmas gift I knew I had to read it as soon as possible.

'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' is nothing like I have read before. Filled with amazing vintage photographs - which have been slightly altered in order to fit the books intentions - this book is a diferent reading experience. The author did an amazing job with inserting the images in the book since they help you visualize the surroudings he intends you to, in a better way.

Even though I have read the portuguese version of this book, I can tell that Ransom Riggs writing is quite good.

The plot for this book is astonishing! I must admit that it sort of started a little slow for me, but after a few chapters I was hooked. I became in love with all of the peculiar children, including Jacob and his oblivious father.
If I had one little critique about this book, was the little romance in it... I don't particularly agree with it since I suspect the ones involved are more driven out of longing than out of actual love for eachother. But this may change in the next book.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in something different with a touch of fantasy. I don't even have the words to explain how much I enjoyed reading this.

I cannot wait until I can get my hands on the next book - 'Hollow City' - but I think that is going to have to wait until next month... Boohoo.

2 comments

  1. Literally everyone loves this book so I really hope I can read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Let me know once you do, we coul talk about it. :)

      Delete