Review - Thirteen Reasons Why




Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: October 18th 2007

My Rating:



Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.



My Thoughts




I decided to read this book on a period of my life on which I was feeling not particularly well. It's no secret that I have been dealing with depression for years now, and these kind of books have a tendency to attract me, especially if I'm not feeling my best.

'Thirteen Reason Why' was a very difficult book to read sometimes, not because it wasn't good or the writing wasn't appealing, but mostly because of its content. One of the main characters, Hannah, who was the one who commited suicide, describes some feelings that were very easy to relate to and that scared me sometimes. On the other hand, it was quite hard to be on her side when she decided to be particularly 'mean' to some of the people on the tapes, even though she had the right to be. This, though, was due to my own personality.

I felt sorry for Clay for having to hear all those tapes, especially when he didn't really belong in them. But I guess they allowed him to see certain people for who they really were and in the end it provided him with a new perspective in life. You should always try to reach out when you have the chance.

This book holds a very special place in my heart. It made me cry and it taught me a lot, actually it didn't really teach me more than it reminded me of things that I should live by.

I would recommend this book to everyone really, since its one of those books that just stays with you forever, I guess.

2 comments

  1. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this book. I discovered it recently, but it definitely caught my eye. I think it has a creative and original premise, I really wish I had more time to read! Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do read it, let me know what you thought of it :)

      Delete