Review: Saga Vol.1




Title: Saga Vol. 1
Author:  Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
Series: Saga
Book #: 1
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: October 10th 2012

My Rating: 



From New York Times bestselling writer BRIAN K.VAUGHAN (Y: THE LAST MAN, EX MACHINA) and critically acclaimed artist FIONA STAPLES (MYSTERY SOCIETY, NORTH 40), SAGA is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds.

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in a sexy, subversive drama for adults. This specially priced volume collects the first arc of the smash hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls "the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make."




My Thoughts





Wow just wow. I went into this graphic novel pretty much not knowing what it was about and I'm glad I did so because it made me appreciate it even more.

Even though this graphic novel was pretty sexual at times, it did not bother me nor did it degrade the storyline. It actually added some realism to it (yeah yeah this is fantasy but I still defend my opinion).

The plot is quite good, lovers from different species have a kid and suddenly everyone is trying to kill them and now they have to protect their child. Sounds simple doesn't it? But it is not. There's so much more to it that I don't even know where to begin.

Something that I really enjoyed about this was that the enemies that are trying to catch them are portrayed in such a way that you cannot help but connect with them as well. You still see them as the enemy but if something happens to them or someone they care about you cannot help but feel sympathy towards those characters which is something remarkable.

When it comes to the main characters I freaking loved Alana, she's my favorite character ever, now. She's completely badass but she's still human and a very good mother. Marko is also a incredibly interesting character and they complete each other in such a way that you can't stop loving them.

I do love the fact that this graphic novel is told, or should I say, has input, from their child. She sort of is the narrator and I love that. I say sort of because this is told from several points of view and she only occasionally gives some input.

All in all I absolutely loved it and I cannot wait to read the rest of this story.

No comments