Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door


Source: Goodreads

Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #2
Publisher: Usborne Publishing

My Rating:



Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion... she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit – the more sparkly, more wild – the better. And life is pretty close to perfect for Lola, especially with her hot rocker boyfriend.

That is, until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket return to the neighbourhood and unearth a past of hurt that Lola thought was long buried. So when talented inventor Cricket steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally face up to a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. Could the boy from Lola's past be the love of her future?


My Thoughts


Like "Anna and the French Kiss", this book was a very cute and fluffy read. The characters, the plot, the setting... Cute all over.

Lola is a very relatable character with her need to express herself through her clothing. The difference between her and most of the population is that she takes it a step further, like Lady Gaga.
That's right, I imagined a little Lady Gaga when I read this and I didn't care at all about the description that Stephanie Perkins gave of Lola.

There is a lot to talk about when it comes to feelings in "Lola and the Boy Next Door". There was a gay relationship (YES!), emotional cheating, friendship and break ups.

I absolutely loved Lola's parents, they were so amazing and they were quite strict and fair. There was a very good balance when it came to their personalities so they came out as a cute couple but not perfect, because let's face there's no such thing.

Now the emotional cheating... it happens when we're young and really have no idea of what we're doing and are afraid of change and making the wrong decisions. I liked that Stephanie talked about it in this book, and she did it in a very realistic way. Is it right to emotionally cheat on someone? Absolutely not, but it does happen and we should be able to talk about it. Though I don't agree with the way Lola dealt with it.

Her relationship with Cricket gave me a mix of feelings because I was always stuck between, approving it and hating it (because of the cheating situation). Cricket was a very relatable character aswell, with his struggling to figure out what was right and his feelings. I liked him a lot.

I really liked reading about Anna and Etienne again. They are still cute and borderline annoying with their love but aren't we all when we're in love? And also their friendship with Lola was so cute, they both seemed to be there for her even when she kept trying to not talk about her issues.

I am not really into contemporary at the moment but these books provide a really light read when I wanna take a break from whatever genre I am reading. I recommend.

No comments