Review: The Madman's Daughter


Source: Goodreads

Title: The Madman's Daughter
Series: The Madman's Daughter #1
Author: Megan Shepherd
Publisher: Balzer + Bray

My Rating:




Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London, working as a maid and trying to forget the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumours about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he's alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she's determined to find out if the accusations were true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward, Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the secret of her father's new life: He experiments on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans.

Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius - and madness - in her own blood.


My Thoughts


So... I had some issues with this book, but I still couldn't stop reading it.

The plot was interesting enough but what bugged me the most was the main character. Juliet is observant and analytical and I really liked that, but as the book develops, her character just became plain annoying.

This is a bit spoilery but not enough to ruin anything in the book for you. So, there's this character and he has Juliet against a table and he is saying that he is going to rape her and the first thing she thinks is: "He's messing the office with candle wax and I will have to clean that later."... I mean SERIOUSLY? Also, she can't get away from danger and has a very bad time following orders even if they are for her own safety. Also, she actually wonder if knowing the truth was worse than being a prostitute... That killed me.

Also something else that bothered me was the fact that there was too many sexual insinuations, that I believe the author was trying to use to let us know that in that time women were not treated with respect. I think that one insinuation was enough, or just the time period itself was enough.

This being said, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I can't really compare it when it comes to the retelling part because I have not read the original "The Island of Doctor Moreau" by H.G. Wells but I read the synopsis of it and you can actually tell it was based on it so maybe it's a good retelling? I don't know. But I will read the original sometime in the future.

Two other characters that sould be mentioned are Edward and Montgomery. Their relationship with Juliet wasn't my favorite thing to read about mostly because these love triangles just annoy me to no end, but I did like their characters.

By the end of the book, all the characters seemed to have grown quite a bit and I ended up liking them (Juliet is still annoying though ahah).

I recommend this book if you have read the original or if you just like reading books set in the 1800's.


2 comments

  1. I've been eyeing up this one for a while now. The summary and cover are really awesome. I've not read the original either, so that's been putting me off getting to it but maybe I'll just go for it. Did you think it made a big difference to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it did, because the premise is there you know? Just give it a shot and then read the original in this case I don't think it will do any harm.

      Delete