Review: Bird Box


Source: Goodreads

Title: Bird Box
Author: Josh Malerman
Publisher: Ecco

My Rating:




Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse of it, and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.

Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remains, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place where they might be safe. Now that the boy and girl are four, it's time to go, but the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat--blindfolded--with nothing to rely on but her wits and the children’s trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. Something is following them all the while, but is it man, animal, or monster?

Interweaving past and present, Bird Box is a snapshot of a world unraveled that will have you racing to the final page.


This book broke me... I don't know exactly why but this will stick with me for a really long time.

Bird Box has a very unnusual concept. The characters can't look outside of their homes or their windows or they will risk seeing something that will drive them crazy. Literally, they will become so crazy that they will kill anyone who is close to them and then themselves.
This fact will lead to most of the book being told from a blind person's perspective. To some people this made the book a bit slow, but to me it made it so awesome.

Can you imagine how difficult it was to write about what a character experiences only through their hearing and tact? I can assure you that the author completely succeeded on this. He made this world so vivid and the characters so real that I will never forget Malorie and her babies. Her pain became mine and I couldn't stop thinking about how hard it would be in her situation.

Bird Box tells Malorie's story and it starts on the day that she decides to leave her house to go to a safer place for her children, but it also reveals how she got to that point from the day people started going crazy. The chapters go back and forth between the present and the past.

Let's talk characters:

Malorie: She's the main character and the book is set through her eyes (ears and tact) with the exception of a couple of chapters. She starts as a normal, frightful and a bit sceptic character but her world is turned upside down really fast which leads to her development into a very strong woman. I am amazed by her strenght and courage. I love Malorie.

Tom: Very strong with a very good sense of leadership. I fell in love with him and I can't even tell you exactly why. Tom and Malorie were my OTP for the entirity of this book.

Don: I could only describe him as unstable. He made me very nervous even though I felt sorry for him. He becomes a deciding character for Malorie's fate.

Felix: You don't really get to know him that well, there's no real development on his character but after finishing the book I am still super glad he was there.

Jules: Oh sweet Jules. I still feel like I didn't get to know him all that well, but he was a dog lover and a very loyal friend and owner.

Cheryl: Strong character but at the same time she was quite fragile. There's not much development of her either.

Olympia: Very sweet character. Both her and Malorie were pregnant and they shared due dates. Even though there's no development on Olympia I ended up really liking her.

Gary: Absolutely hated him from the start. He made me uneasy and anxious. Plays a crucial part on Malorie's fate.

Overall I absolutely loved this novel. Why didn't I give it a 5 star rating then? Because of the freaking creatures, or monsters or freaking aliens, or whatever they were! You don't get any explanation for the reason they appeared or why they were there. They simply existed and they made you go mad and that was it. I need to know why! I have become a professional on finding books that do not provide me with any closure. Geez...

That final moment that Malorie shares with the kids... Oh the feels!

2 comments

  1. Love this review!! <3 And I'm so intrigued to know that the protagonist is blind. I wonder how the descriptions in the book will be! Definitely will check out this book :)

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do read this, it's such a cool concept and I loved it!

      Delete