Book Blogger Hop: March 3rd - 9th




Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme created by Ramblings of a Coffee Addict Writer where you answer a question and join a hop, where you'll meet new bloggers. Check her blog for more info.

This week's question is:

When you start reading a novel, do you prefer to be plunged right into the action, or do you prefer a slower, more descriptive introduction to the plot and characters?

My Answer:

I like to be plunged into action and then get to know the characters and plot whilst being in the middle of it. If the book has a slow start or takes like 1/3 of it to get to the good stuff I get bored to death and that will most likely drive me into a bookslump.

What about you?

8 comments

  1. I like to get interested right away, but I do give a book at least 50 to 100 pages.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Have a good weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes 50 to 100 pages is too long you know? But I do understand your point :)

      Delete
  2. In general I prefer being plunged into the action as well. At the very least, the book has to capture my interest early or I'll quit. Thanks for visiting - and following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely and you're very welcome!

      Delete
  3. Slower starts can be boring, but not always. Not for me, anyway. It really depends on the book and my mood. I like both types of openings when it comes right down to it. I've read a lot of books that started off slow that I ended up loving. And I love quick starters as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup sometimes it depends on our moods but usually for me at least, being plunged right into it works really well :)

      Delete
  4. It totally depends on the author for me. Some authors can make slow starts catch my attention right away. Some authors who plop me right into the action bore me with their cliches. But I have read a couple of books with a slow introduction that needed some rereading to get me into it. "Madame Bovary" by Flaubert is an example of one and I'm glad I didn't give up on it because it was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read that book but I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete