Review: The Leaving


Source: Goodreads

Title: The Leaving
Author: Tara Alterbrando
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing Plc

My Rating:


Six were taken. Eleven years later, five come back--with no idea of where they've been.

Eleven years ago, six kindergarteners went missing without a trace. After all that time, the people left behind moved on, or tried to.

Until today. Today five of those kids return. They're sixteen, and they are . . . fine. Scarlett comes home and finds a mom she barely recognizes, and doesn't really recognize the person she's supposed to be, either. But she thinks she remembers Lucas. Lucas remembers Scarlett, too, except they're entirely unable to recall where they've been or what happened to them. Neither of them remember the sixth victim, Max. He doesn't come back. Everyone wants answers. Most of all Max's sister Avery, who needs to find her brother--dead or alive--and isn't buying this whole memory-loss story.




Ever since I read the premise for this book, I've been hooked. I ordered it immediately and dreamt about what the reason for the disappearances could be until the book arrived.

The experience of reading "The Leaving" was quite pleasant, I didn't feel like putting it down and I was completely engrossed in the story. It literally made me the living version of the meme "I don't need sleep, I need answers!". This being said the ending was quite disappointing.

When I started reading it, I expected to have all the kids perspectives but only got Avery's, Scarlett's and Lucas'. Why not include the others?
The story seemed to be more about how these particular kids coped with the situation instead of the "how/what happened to ALL of them".

Let's talk characters:

Avery: The only one who got to have a somewhat normal life. We read the most about her, since she's the sister of the one kid who hasn't come back and she's looking for answers. She was likeable and the most relatable out of the bunch.

Lucas: Adorable kid, seemed to be the only one committed enough to try and take action when it comes to finding out what happened to them. I really liked him and he was the character who made me feel the most.

Scarlett: Surprising. In the beginning I really didn't agree with most of her thought process but I came to like her more and more as the book progressed.

I absolutely loved the writing style. Scarlett's chapters came with blanks, words mimicking their meanings and drawings, it was such a cool experience to read from her point of view. Also Lucas' chapters sometimes came with big blocks of words which was also interesting to read.

This being said that ending was disappointing to say the least. There wasn't really any closure and what happened to them wasn't that interesting to be honest. I expected more but since the rest of the book, leading to this point, was very interesting and gripping I still would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a little suspense.

No comments