Review: Big Mushy Happy Lump


*This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review*


Source: Goodreads

Title: Big Mushy Happy Lump
Author: Sarah Andersen
Series: Sarah's Scribbles
Book #: 2

My Rating:




Swimsuit season is coming up! Better get beach-body ready! Work on those abs! Lift those butts!

...Um, or how about never mind to all that and just be a lump. Big Mushy Happy Lump!

Sarah Andersen's hugely popular, world-famous Sarah's Scribbles comics are for those of us who boast bookstore-ready bodies and Netflix-ready hair, who are always down for all-night reading-in-bed parties and extremely exclusive after-hour one-person music festivals.

In addition to the most recent Sarah's Scribbles fan favorites and dozens of all-new comics, this volume contains illustrated personal essays on Sarah's real-life experiences with anxiety, career, relationships and other adulthood challenges that will remind readers of Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half and Jenny Lawson's Let's Pretend This Never Happened. The same uniquely frank, real, yet humorous and uplifting tone that makes Sarah's Scribbles so relatable blooms beautifully in this new longer form.





Once again Miss Andersen has made me feel like I'm not alone. I actually believe she's a copy of myself or at least found a way into my brain and is making comics about me.

I have struggled with self-esteem, socializing and depression for most of my life so I really related with the chapter called "I don't know how to be a person" because, you guessed it, I don't know how to be a person. I am not good at making conversation or maintaining friendships.
The way she describes overthinking, being a female, trying to be more social are completely relatable to me, but still made me laugh and think that maybe it's ok to be the way I am. Also she makes a good point of trying to see certain situations as normal instead of incredibly embarassing, for instance awkward silences. Maybe they don't need to be so awkward after all.

Of course, I didn't start realizing these things after reading this book. On the contrary, I already knew all of them but it's good to see that I'm not the only one thinking about it since these things are not discussed on a day to day basis between people. Also it's good for people who are not socially awkward to read and maybe sympathize a little.

The art was still on point in comparison with the first book. Sarah has a unique way of making incredible simplistic scribbles (see what I did there? AH!) look artistic and most importantly, funny.

All in all it was a good read and I would recommend it to pretty much everyone.


2 comments

  1. Nice review! I've seen this book around but never really took the time to read what it was about. Now your review has piqued my curiosity! I'm really glad that it delivered so many messages definitely worth being reminded.

    - Lashaan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go read it! And prepare to laugh a lot!
      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete